Sunday, June 27, 2010

Mango Lime Jalapeno Sorbet

This is the first recipe I ever made with my ice cream maker. In fact, it was one of the reasons I bought an ice cream maker in the first place. Dolcezza, a fantastic gelato shop here in DC, was selling it at the farmers market. I fell in love with the combination of sweet, tart, and spicy, but not the price (sorry, Dolcezza!). If only I could make it myself, I thought...

Little did I know at the time that it could be so easy. 





































Recipe:

6 mangoes (I used Champagne mangoes, but you can use any kind)
1 lime
1-2 teaspoons diced jalapeno (depending on how spicy you like it)
2 tablespoons Agave nectar
OPTIONAL: 1 shot vodka (for smoother texture)

Skin mangoes and cut them into chunks. In blender, puree mango, freshly squeezed lime juice, diced jalapeno, and Agave nectar until smooth. Stir in vodka (you won't be able to taste it). Pour into ice cream maker and churn.

How simple is that?

8 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks amazing. What kind of ice cream maker did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary! I have this red Cuisinart ice cream maker: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-20R-2-Quart-Automatic-Frozen/dp/B0001540DW?&camp=212361&linkCode=wey&tag=thfrfi-20&creative=380733

    I think it's a little cheaper in white. It's nothing fancy, but hey, check out the results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this, but I think there was a little too much for my ice cream maker. So I am putting into the freezer before I really go at it.

    One of my roommates said it tastes like she would like it better as a salsa than an ice cream, so I am hoping a peppery flavor turns up after freezing.

    Is it supposed to be spicy or only a hint of heat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jana,

    Glad to hear you tried it! You can make it as spicy as you want depending on the amount of jalapeno you use (and the heat of the pepper). Ideally, the spiciness isn't overwhelming, but a hint at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. is it ok to leave vodka in recpipe for kids? I didn't know since it's not cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kids will be fine. The amount of alcohol in this recipe is miniscule. If you want, you can use 1 tablespoon. You can't smell it or taste it. It's solely for texture. Kids probably get more alcohol from cough syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. Cough syrup for kids usually don't contain alcohol! Usually its glycol (I guess you could use this as well - however have to cut back the sweetness as it is sweet- but it also affect the freezing point as ethanol (your drinking alcohol).
    Maybe it was also nice to cut down the blended jalapenos but add some threads of pieces to make it a bit... more bursting (also those who don't like the spiciness can take them out)?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than 70 over the counter cough syrups contain alcohol which is listed by its chemical name, not as "alcohol". The percent in them range from less than 2% like Robitussin to 25% like in Contact Severe Cold formula. There is one that is 40% alcohol. Expectorants and night time relief formulas tend to have the most alcohol. They do sell alcohol free formulas but they tend to have a more unpleasant taste.

      Delete